A reliable digital powder scale will help you with the most challenging part of refilling your ammunition: measuring the powder precisely. Reloading your own shells can serve to improve your accuracy and immerse you in the shooter's way of life. In case you frequent the gun range or you enjoy hunting, shooting accurately and consistently is everyone's target.
Whether you are starting off in reloading or you are experienced, you need the best tools to help you get the job done well. Go through our top choices for the most dependable digital powder scales and check out the key considerations to make before buying.
5 Best Digital Powder Scales
1. Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Digital Reloading Scale
The FrankFord Arsenal DS-750 Digital Reloading Scale features simplicity for those new to ammo refilling. The device comes with a powder tray, a calibration weight, 2 AAA batteries, a plastic cover, a soft storing bag and two plastic tools for powder distribution.
The digital reloading scale has a small and lightweight design that ensures portability and means you do not have to place it permanently on a loading bench. The device uses auto-calibration and overload protection to ensure powder measure is accurate to about 0.01 grams or 0.1 grains. Plus, the 750-grain capacity is ideal for a long reloading session.
Use the FrankFord Arsenal DS 750 to get measurement readings in grams, carats, grains and ounces through the LCD screen. With features like the tare and counting function, this digital powder scale will simplify your ammunition reloading.
2. DANTE Digital Miligram Scale by MAXUS
- 💎 Professional-Grade Load Cell 💎 Dante...
- 💎 Multi-Function Milligram Scale 💎...
- 💎 Space Saving and Portable 💎 Dante...
- 💎 6 Weighing Units to Choose 💎 Dante...
- 💎 10 YEARS Limited Warranty 💎 Dante...
The DANTE Digital Milligram Scale by MAXUS is one of the best devices for people with a knack for accuracy. For starters, the unit is compact to ensure it does not clutter your loading bench while also being able to fit in a toolbox. The digital scale also offers fast reloading capabilities thanks to its oversized 60 mm sensor designed to make repeated weighing more efficient.
The digital powder scale offers plenty of features apart from helping you reload ammo. Pharmacists, jewelers and chefs can use the device for weighing spices, herbs, capsules, caffeine and precious metals. Each unit has an accuracy of 0.02 grains or 0.001 grams while having a maximum capacity of 771 grains or 50 grams.
The accurate scale has a tare function for subtracting the weight of the container or powder pan to help you get the correct measurements. Moreover, you can use the counting feature for a bulk powder measure.
3. Lyman Pocket Touch 1500 Scale Kit
The Lyman Pocket Touch 1500 is a welcome addition to any loading bench because it specializes in providing accurate measurements when reloading your own shells. Its compact size ensures you can save valuable space at your workstation.
These digital reloading scales are excellent for shooters who are more involved with their firearms because of their impressive 1500-grain capacity. Additionally, the touch screen controls on the units offer numerous options for taking accurate measurements fast.
Take advantage of the easy-to-read display, the low power consumption of 2 AAA batteries and an auto-shutoff feature that makes it easy to use. Plus, the kit comes with a patented Universal Funnel Pan that acts as a powder dispenser to pour into the cases directly.
4. Truweigh Marksman Digital Reloading Scale
- Truweigh is a leader in the reloading powder...
- The MARKSMAN digital reloading scale features...
- The RELOADR MARKSMAN digital reloading scale...
- Truweigh MARKSMAN grain ammo reloading scale...
- The Truweigh MARKSMAN reloading digital...
The Truweigh Marksman Digital Reloading Scale is the device you buy if you want high accuracy. For starters, the product features a clear plastic cover to protect it and expand the weighing tray. Additionally, the powder pan, 100-gram calibration weight and tweezers ensure you do not struggle with reloading ammo.
The accurate scale can handle up to 1500 grains while ensuring you can weigh to a precision of 0.005 grams. The LCD screen displays large digits for quick and easy measuring. Plus, the multi-purpose device can output different units, while the inbuilt converter can help you switch from one measurement to another.
The 3-year warranty of the Truweigh Marksman Digital Reloading Scale gives users peace of mind. The built-in overload protection safeguards the device from damage. Also, its power-saving feature ensures you get the most out of its 2 AAA batteries.
5. MAXUS Reloading Scale
- ✅Upgraded✅-Milligram scale come with 4...
- ✅Multifunctional✅-Milligram scale with...
- ✅Accurate✅-Milligram scale with...
- ✅Smart Button Functions✅-Milligram scale...
- ✅Customer satisfication✅-Milligram scale...
If you want a precise instrument, the MAXUS Reloading Scale features numerous tools and impressive accuracy. These additions include; 4 different sizes of powder pans, a tweezer and measuring spoons. Since it is portable, manufacturers have included a lid to protect the scale while carrying it around.
With the MAXUS Reloading Scale, you can expect an accuracy of about 0.02 grains. This resolution enables you to improve your shooting performance at the range. Its high precision sensor uses the flip lid as a wind shelter for getting the exact weight.
Vital Considerations When Buying the Best Digital Powder Scale
a) Why Go for Digital Powder Scales
Some shooters are tempted to do things the old fashion way and shop for a mechanical powder scale. Admittedly, these devices offer more advantages in reloading than digital ones. However, digital powder scales offer more versatility and faster operation.
Comparing Mechanical and Digital Powder Scales
Mechanical Powder Scales
- For starters, you do not need access to electricity or another power source to operate mechanical powder scales.
- Since these units use beam balances, you can zero them quickly and subtract the weight of the powder dispensers.
- Mechanical powder scales are designed to be heavy-duty and thus will outlast any digital counterpart.
- Their grain capacity typically ranges from 300 to 1000 grains, so they can be limiting for people looking to weigh for multiple rounds.
- The mechanical reloading scales are much cheaper, and they do not need you to warm them up before use.
Digital Powder Scales
- Whether you need batteries or some external power source, digital scales will not measure weight unless they are plugged into electricity.
- These units will typically have a higher grain capacity of up to 2000 for faster performance when reloading your guns.
- Digital reloading scales are more versatile because they offer different units of measurement.
- Before you start measuring with digital scales, you need to take time for calibration.
- A warm-up period is critical for accurate powder measure weighing.
- These units will often cost you more than mechanical ones.
- Digital powder scales are much easier and quicker to use as you can check the measurement reading on their LCD screens.
Why Digital Reloading Scales Are Better
Upgrading to digital reloading scales can benefit your performance at the gun range or take your hunting to the next level. The scale features below illustrate the advantages you can expect by embracing technology.
- It is crucial for beam balances to balance out once you start weighing. Digital reloading scales provide powder measure as soon as you place the weight on them. Consequently, you will not experience any delays while reloading numerous bullets.
- You do not have to be limited to powder measure when using digital scales. These devices have multiple units of measurement to enable you to put them to different uses.
- Digital reloading scales are much lighter than mechanical ones. Hence, they are easier to carry and can come in handy when you want to stock up on more rounds during a hunting trip.
- Digital scales have a much higher grain capacity making them suitable to weigh more ammunition on average.
- Finally, the high accuracy of digital reloading scales can help you improve your shooting performance.
b) Sensitivity of Digital Scales
Digital scales offer the highest level of sensitivity in the measuring industry. For instance, some devices have the ability to give an accurate measurement reading of up to 0.02-grain. A precise tool can help you with saving powder as none will go to waste.
Nevertheless, digital reloading scales have sensitivity issues caused by the environment. Getting an accurate powder measure requires you to use the devices in a place with no drafts or vibrations as they can affect the measurement.
Using two calibration weights can help you with increasing the accuracy of the powder scale. However, it is crucial to check the product manual for the best ways to use the device before reloading. After all, it would be best if you did not risk your safety by letting weight alterations affect the readings.
c) Response Time of Digital Reloading Scales
When using a mechanical powder scale, you are bound to get frustrated by the slow response time of the devices that can be as long as 20 seconds. On the other hand, a digital scale can slash that time to at least a second!
If you frequently reload ammo on a commercial scale, it is crucial to embrace technology and go with a digital scale. After all, it saves time without losing the accuracy you need.
The grain capacity of the digital scale determines how much powder you can weigh at any given time. Measuring multiple times means that you are more likely to make a mistake. Plus, repeatedly weighing is time-consuming.
A digital scale features more weighing capabilities than a mechanical one. As such, you should consider getting a device that offers a higher grain capacity than you need. After all, your requirements may increase as you go to the shooting range more frequently.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Digital Scale
1. What is the best digital scale for powder?
Our pick for the best digital scale for powder is the DANTE Digital Milligram Scale by MAXUS. This device offers high accuracy and capacity for quick and efficient reloading. Plus, it is portable and affordable.
2. What is the best balance beam scale for reloading?
The best beam scale for reloading is the Hornady Lock-n-Load Balance Beam Scale. Its sensitivity is 0.1-grain, and it has a magnetic dampener to give you fast and accurate readings. You can also expect it to last a lifetime as it is made from durable materials.
Nevertheless, using a mechanical scale can be frustrating because they are slower and have a smaller capacity when compared to digital options.